Translate

Monday 17 September 2012

Vintage Clothes Daphne Raven - still in demand today.

Sadly I lost my Mum in January of last  year (2011).

She married my Dad, Ralph Raven, at the end of the 1940s after World War Two.
In the very early 1950s he opened up workrooms in London, making haute couture ladies garments such as suits and coats – he called his firm Daphne Raven, my Mum’s first married name.

If you Google " Vintage Daphne Raven", you’ll still find today, items being sold on both eBay and vintage clothing shops bearing her name on the label of the vintage clothing and that people today are buying to wear!

My Mum used to also model the clothing.

Before she sadly passed away, I told her that people still bought vintage clothing with her name on and was really surprised but pleased too.

chrisscoxx an EBay seller

This very kind person above allowed me to copy the label of the coat they sold on eBay earlier this year.

You can find Daphne Raven designs still being sold afar as Canada and New Zealand particularly on eBay.

If you look at the way clothes were tailored in those days- a lot of hand work went into making the garments - unlike the way they are massed produced now.

Incidentally my Grampa had a large factory in Portslade , near Brighton where he also manufactured clothes, among his clients were Marks and Spencers - and Pringles.

Another time I will tell you about my bespoke soft furnishing shop in Brighton .

Daphne Bloomfield 20th January 1926 – 5th January 2011


3 comments:

  1. What a lovely article about a beautiful talented lady! I received the most beautiful Daphne Raven coat through the post purchased on Ebay today, still in mint condition! It's my favourite already! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Further to my last comment, the label in the coat I've bought is completely different to the one you've got a picture of. Looks later (80s? 90s?). I hope it's not a fake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, my first comment didn't post. I also just bought a Daphne Raven tweed/fur-collar coat from eBay. I haven't received it yet, but Googled the maker and found your page. It's wonderful to read the history of your dad's firm, and your mum as inspiration and model. It will make wearing the coat extra special x

    ReplyDelete